Thursday, September 10, 1970

1966 - Transition Class - 13 years old.

1966    I was 13 years old.

 


In 1966, I studied only two school terms in Sabah College in Sabah then came to Sarawak to continue the third school term in Kuching High School in Kuching.

Why this transferred?   Well, while in Bridge Class in Sabah College, the government launched a Tuberculosis (TB) skin test (TST) on all students in the school.  I was found positive in the health test.  My parent immediately called me back from Sabah.

During that health service to the schools, a medical assistant came to the school. With an injector, he gave a very shallow injection into the skin in the lower part of the left arm.  The injector has eight tinny needles. The injection was shallow and quick that no one felt any pain.

After couple of days, the health care worker came back to school to look at each of our arms. From the needle marks, the medical staff would know whether the student is TB positive or negative.  A positive TB skin test mean the student has been infected with Tuberculosis (TB) bacteria.

There were two boys in my class shown positive TB skin: a Chinese student and me.
Yes, I was TB Positive, means TB bacteria in my body.

The medical team gave me packages of tablets and instructed me remember to take a tablet each day. No chest x-ray. No clinic visit. No doctor.  Because TB infection does not indicate TB disease.  But it will develop into TB disease if no medication.

So it’s lucky to be able detected earlier before develop into lung disease. The government health authority has done good health care to the schools even back then in 1966.

Few weeks later, my father in Sarawak sends a telegram to Uncle Choi (James) in Sabah with only two words “COMING SOON”

“YOU COMING OR I GOING?” Uncle Choi sent a reply question the very same day.  Uncle Choi was who I stay with that time (in Grandmother’s old wood house).  My father suddenly sent a telegram because I wrote home a letter mentioning the school found out about my TB Positive.  So my parent decided to bring me back from boarding with Grandmother and Uncle Choi.


This explains why I came back to Sarawak again from Sabah.


No comments: