Wednesday, September 9, 1970

Hello World

1953 November to December


“Hello world”. This two are my first images. Taken between November and December 1953 at two to three months old.






In these black and white photographs, I was standing, with the help of mother's hands, on the wooden long bench in the balcony of the old wooden house of Grandmother Phang Len Yin, in Jesselton Town (Now Kota Kinabalu City)


I looked joyous as a baby in the photo. But in recalling the words from the elderly, at the time of birth, my father Woing Syak Kee was jobless and my mother was always sick for “lack of blood” according to doctor.   

That difficult time of this young family was so impact on the mind of my mother that decade later when I was already teenager she still nags about those days in front of the children, at that time already seven of them.


“No money to buy milk powder” my mother used to say.


No comments: