Tuesday, July 29, 2014

"I saw Father Christmas coming down from the sky"




"I saw Father Christmas coming down from the sky" if I said this to you, I know you will not believe me. I never told this to my parents either. Not even to any friends. They may think I am  boastful.

Father Christmas appear only to those children of good standing, and children of good standing never tell lies. I do not tell lie, that is why I saw Father Christmas : "I truly saw Father Christmas coming down from the sky!"


That day must be the Christmas month, as I walked passed the town Cinema I heard loud spinning sound on top of the hill beside the cinema. Blocked by the big rain trees on the hills, I could not see what but I know it was a helicopter. I rushed up the long and high concrete steps leading up to the hills where the Club House was, there were already many adults and children's in the front yard all looking up toward sky on the right hand side of the Club. And there "Look !" He is the Father Christmas gently sliding down a rope hanging down from the helicopter to the grass lawn beside the club.

I previously have see Father Christmas on picture, but today I meet him the first time. Yes! He is Father Christmas I know, and he came down from the sky I saw.

Or to be more precise : "I saw Father Christmas coming down the rope from a helicopter above the club House." For a child age like me at that day, the helicopter is no significant at all. Its the Father Christmas that matter all about.

Who are these nicely dressed adults and children? and why a Father Christmas came down to them at that day?

It was back 50 years ago between 1962-1963 during British era. That Club House on the hills was established by the British administrators for the recreation of Government officers. These adults were high ranking officers and their children having a Christmas Party. An annual events of the Government officers. My father worked for the British Government, but he was only a clerk with no rank high enough to be invited for such a Classy event. So I would not one of those officially invited children to the Christmas Party on the hill.

But no one stop me jointing them to welcome Father Christmas as I ran as quickly as I could up the hilly steps to the garden in time to meet him coming down from the sky.

Father Christmas, yes every can recognize, in red rope, white bead. One hand hold his red gift beg with another hand holding the rope, he slide all the way down gently. But to keep the excitement of the children, he would, for a couple of times pulse for a while in the mid air and wave and greet the excited forks down below. And the children and adult on ground would cheer to the Father Christmas up there.

Finally he was down on the ground, children surrounded him and walked him into the club building. And inside were well arranged chairs, table-cloths covered tables with foods and drinks. And there should be a green green Christmas tree some where at the corner. It was a day party setting.

I peer through the windows to see these happy families members celebrate their annual event. Wondering outside the club for a while before  returning home.

I never told any things about this event to my parents  that day and never ever since. Never I talked about this happening to friends either. No one like to believe me I thought.

But I was not the only one who saw. Right there at the club house were 20 over children my age group.

By and by such childhood happening gradually fad out of mind...... but as one aged to 60 years old like me to suddenly realized such precious childhood memories actually never faded out but reappeared clearer and clearer to present days.

No comments: