Saturday, July 26, 2014

PEKAKA 1956 Batu Lintang Government Flat



PEKAKA 1956
Batu Lintang Government Flat
29 November 2005 TUE 12:29PM


This is the recent 2005 images of the house I grew up between 1956 to 1959 (?). I was not yet schooling then.


These are recent photos of the flat where I grew up, 1956 to 1959.  Our apartment is the ground floor at the left of the photo. I was the first and only child when first moved in. By the time we moved out to another quarter near by 2 brothers had been born in this flat.

My mother was born and grew up in Papar Town, Sabah.  She often relate herself as a daughter of a landlord  in her home town.

Before my father found a government clerk job in Kuching, he was a bank clerk in Jesselton (today Kota Kinabalu).

 Being a bank clerk was what tipped the scales to persuade my mother to marry him. But being a wife of a government clerk living in a prison like flat was what became her life long regret of marrying to my father.

She always hoped to have a domestic farm land where we could grow our food, but we live in government quarters.


I think my father knew that, but he was confident of his self and made not concern of my mother’s desire for own property of land and house. At the end my mother uses her own hard earned money to purchase a house in 1972 at Kenyalang Park thus ended decades long of living in quarters belong to the government.

1956 - that was only 10 years after WWII.

After we moved out of this flat in 1959, we still stay in the same Batu Lintang quarter area a couple of decades. But I never came back to this flat for a look ever since until one day in 2005.

I am glade I came back that day in 2005 for a short look after gone for decades……..this flat was demolished after the 2005 visit.

1 comment:

Pazuzu said...

i walked pass these flats everyday during my school days... the last time i walked pass them back from school was in 1996.. i missed that place..