Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Big house on the hill - The Simanggang Recreation Club


Simanggang Recreation Club

There was a tranquil place in Simanggang where I went for hide away during childhood.

One day, the afternoon class session ended earlier then usual. Unwilling to return home earlier because it mean extra house works for me, I decide to make a detour and made an exploration of the big house on the hill.

It’s a big wooden house with several big trees surround.  This mysterious house was the biggest house I knew in the town. (Not counting those shop building and Government buildings)

The red hot afternoon sun was pointing at the right side of the house making this side of the house extremely hot. But at the left side of the house (facing away from the sun) was in the shadow. With the couple of big shady trees adding extra protection from the sun, this corner of this big tall wooden house was such a cool and quiet environment.

I sat on the cement pathway for a long long time. No one around. Cool breeze swept my face. No busy noises like those in the classroom, No nagging from the mother. Only I hear the sweet singing of birds on the trees……….

……….such was the most tranquil place, a secret place I discover.  I came back a couple of time since then before I left Simanggane for good in 1964.

Photo above : This was the 'Big House on the Hill' once upon a time I would come alone to hide away for some moments of quiet tranquility.

Photo source : http://limasen-lbucks.blogspot.com/2010/05/simanggang-recreation-club.html


This above aerial view of the club house I am very sure was taken from an army helicopter. Because in 1962 it was at the very similar aerial angle that an army helicopter send down a "Father Christmas" to entertain a group of children waiting down below.


Today when Christmas days arrive, children meet Father Christmas in Shopping malls, shacking hand with Father Christmas in the churches. But once upon a time, I and the small group of children one day had a unique experience of meeting Father Christmas that today the children never ever have ..... I met Father Christmas coming down from the sky waving at us...


Here is my story : "I saw Father Christmas coming down from the sky"


No comments: