Monday, June 2, 2008

The Cotton tree on the hill


Cotton Tree
2 June 2008 Monday 4:18PM


Once upon a time behind this cotton tree was a steel tower.  Once in a blue moon warning sound rang out from a siren on the tower. It just a routine drill for the British administration practicing emergency.  A few times I saw pairs of armed solders took positions on several spots on the hill and watch out toward the town. This was also a routine drill.

Once upon a time the present bright concrete building behind this cotton tree was a wooden white structure where the Treasury Office was.  Facing the tree were the back doors while the front doors were on the other side. Wong Syak Kee, my father, his office was somewhere in the middle facing this tree.  His desk was just couple meters to the back door we could see him from afar when we send him drink during tea breaks. His tea break refreshment was hot Millo made by my mother using a glass bottle as container. Those day there was no such thing as PVC Plastic bottle.

Once upon a time my house, a colonial government staff quarter wooden, was just 100 meters walk toward this cotton tree. Whenever I look out toward the blue sky from the windows (with mosquito screen), this is the cotton tree I saw.

Gone was the tall steel tower.
Gone was the wooden Treasury Office of the British colonial.
Gone was also the wooden house I grew up.

Today, after 40 years, upon my return this cotton tree still standing tall before me. The tree saw me left as a young boy and sees me return as a soon senior citizen.

I do not have another 40 years. But this cotton tree has another 40 years……. follow by another 40 years…… and perhaps another……

So please you who dismantled the tower, you who rebuild the office building and you who destroyed my childhood home, please let this cotton tree continue to grow……for another 40 years……..follow by another 40 years…….and perhaps another forever.



No comments: