Tuesday, February 18, 1997

Went to Brazil but return from USA

February 17, 1997 (Monday)

My colleague Fernando came back from "Miami" today. But he was suppose to return from a Brazil not from USA.

He gave Shirley a trip souvenir : a cup with fishes style inside and a bottle opener.

I did not he went to USA but I am aware he might be going to. Just month ago he requests me to write an English letter to USA Embassy to apply for a Visa. His English is not good enought to write. Did he obtained the USA Visa? He never told me about this.

But what he tole me weeks later was that he would make a QC inspection trip to North of Brazil for 2 weeks.  QC is my job responsibility not his. I should be the one going not him.  I was the one responsible for QC problems whenever happen not him. But this particular time, without any consultation with me, he took over my responsibility for the first time. This is curious to me.

A wood supplier in a small city in the North of Brazil earlier send a fax that they has some wood ready and enquire whether our company interested to import to Taiwan.  Our head office in Taiwan has not reply of showing any interest or asking either one of us to make a QC trip.

Soon later, without prior consultation with me,  he made up his own decision to go to see the wood for himself. That far away and for that long period. I am quite suspicion adding that months earlier he wanted a US Visa with no reason or fixed date of going to USA.

Today, he came back from the intended "QC inspection" trip. He should be coming back from "Brazil", no from "Miami" of USA as he said. Interestingly, perhaps he is in such happy and excited mood from the trip away that he forgotten to tell a second lie to cover up the first lie.

-------------------------------------------

Several months later.....................

I was quick to forget about such patty mater. Not until several months later to realize that this is not a petty matter but a big issue. I by chance discovered a secret of him. A Romeo and Juliet type of romantic secret. He has been careless in hiding his personal faxes with his girlfriend in Taiwan.

I was clearing and tidy up all the office files and documents because my whole family was preparing for a "long" holiday back to Malaysia. I want to have a peace of mind trip without worry unfinished routine in the office.

On the very top high up cupboard (All the rooms in Panorama Building are fixed with build in wall closet and cupboard from floor to cyline.) Up there I found a forgotten arch file, the standard type of black hard cover arch file that almost ever office used for filing.  This file never seen before, still new with nor label  and with only several faxes in his Chinese handwriting.  Curious to classify whether his personal and official document, I gone through these faxes.

These were faxes communication between him and girlfriend. Now,  my mind was cleared of the mystery of why my colleague went to "Brazil" but return from "USA"


The faxes told the romantic story:  ...........


No comments: